Thursday, October 27, 2011

PT Test

I don't understand how people can get fat here. There are three world-class gyms, ab classes, spin classes, zumba classes, crossfit classes, pretty much any and every fricken thing a Soldier could want to stay in shape. The DFAC (Dining Facility) serves bad food, but they also serve really healthy food, and if a Soldier works out regularly--like he/she is supposed to--the effects of fatty foods can be mitigated. I'm not a PT (Physical Training) stud; I always do well, but I've never been someone with a rock-solid body who can score a 300 on the PT test.

Since I've been here, I've gotten into a steady workout routine. I run on Mon, Wed, and Fri. I lift on Tues, Thurs, and Sat. I take Sun. off. I have also begun taking a supplement 6 hours before a workout and immediately following a workout. I've noticed vast improvements in my output, and had the opportunity to demonstrate this during our PT test on Tuesday.

A PT test is a series of three events. There is the push-up event, sit-up event, and the two-mile run. The scoring varies depending on age and gender, but for a male who is 28, a perfect score (300) would be, at least, 77 PU in two minutes, 83 SU in two minutes, and a two-mile run in 13:18 or less. I cranked out 80 PU, 79 SU, and ran the two-mile in 13:12. I maxed my PU and run, but was four SU under the maximum earning a 97 in that event for a total of 297. This is a really good score, and I will be recognized, as will all people who get a 270+, in front of the entire command. It felt really good to accomplish this, and I think that I'm proof positive that anyone in the Army can obtain a quality PT score. Unfortunately, I now have the pressure to keep up this level. We'll see if I do.

Non sequitur: I've downloaded this song onto my iTunes, and am in love with it. I can't seem to post the song alone on this site, so I'll link to youtube where the song was featured in the movie Henry V. King Henry V and his troops are victorious against the French at the Battle of Agincourt on 25 October, 1415--a battle in which the English are outnumbered roughly 4:1. Henry has commanded his troops to sing the "Non Nobis" and "Te Deum" in honor of the fallen English and French, and to give them proper burials. The Latin means "Not for us, not for us, Lord. But give glory to your name." I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment