Friday, February 17, 2012

Kuwait, again

What a crazy week since I left. Christina was allowed to come to the gate with me at the airport, which was awesome. They let all spouses and children of deploying service members do this, and it is a blessing. We didn't say much because we were fighting back tears, but we held each other's hands, and were generally comforted by one another. When I had to leave, we hugged and kissed, and then I left. We were both grief-stricken. The flight back is long. I left Detroit at 1210, and landed in ATL at about 1410. The landing was quite scary, at one time dropping for about three seconds. I had a six-hour layover in ATL which was ok. I was able to talk with Christina, and got a bite to eat (I hadn't eaten all day. I usually can't eat the day before and the day of my departures). We boarded a plane at about 2030, but not before an intoxicated Soldier was found and removed. We are not allowed to drink beginning at 0000 the day we travel, and this Soldier was blitzed. We had an eight-hour flight to Germany, a two-hour lay over, and a five+-hour flight to Kuwait. We landed at 2100 Kuwait time; it was Sunday. (That's 1300 Sunday in Detroit.)

From the airport we traveled to Ali Al Salem where we discovered our bus wouldn't leave until 0430 which meant we had about four hours to blow at Ali with nothing to do. By this time I was fatigued, and there was no where for me to sleep. We boarded the bus at 0400, and arrived at Arifjan at 0600. I napped, but only for two hours because I wanted to sleep through the next night. That day was ok; I missed Christina like crazy, but it was nice to see everyone again. People are always excited when someone returns from R&R because from leaving the office to returning to the office, nearly three weeks have passed. I was doing well until I got to my room for the evening.

My roommate is in Afghanistan so my room was empty. It was, naturally, exactly like I left it. It felt like a cave; it felt like a cell. Being with Christina non-stop for fifteen days had not only let me reconnect with my best friend, but it let me get used to being with someone constantly. My room had no one, and I started to get really lonely. What happened next was probably due to fatigue as much as loneliness, but I cried. By that I mean, I bawled. I'm surprised I had tears left. It was a very dark few hours. I fell asleep (after talking to Christina), but woke up with a massive headache. I hadn't had coffee in about 36 hours, and I think I was going through caffeine withdrawals. I was hydrated (I had run so was hydrating before and afterwards), and I was sleeping well, but at about 0300 this headache woke me up. I couldn't fall back asleep so I decided to ask Christina (it's only 1900 in Detroit at that time) if we could SKYPE. We did, and it was disastrous! I couldn't say anything because I was crying so much. I was pretty much at my most vulnerable and my most pathetic.

God is so good, however. He brought me through that, and my first day back in the office was very positive. Since then, I have had periodic moments of longing for July, but mostly God has impressed upon me just how lucky I am. My life is wonderful, and I have been able to not long for July so much; rather, I anticipate it. God has allowed me to live in the moment with contentment, and has reminded me that no matter where I am he loves me. He has also reminded me that no matter where I am, Christina loves me. What else do I need? All that separates us is distance. While that's not insignificant, it's nothing more. The last two days, especially, have been wonderful. I have been happy, content, and in love. I have been smiling from ear-to-ear, and have even voluntarily stayed in the office later than usual to finish work. I'm motivated.

So, that's how Kuwait has been for the last week. As always, I covet your prayers, and hope everyone--all 3 of you--is doing well.

1 comment:

  1. That Skype call was really tough; not because you weren't able to say much, but because I could see you but I couldn't hold you. It was torture! I am so glad we're both out of those doldrums, and we can focus on our blessings and the passing of time. I miss you every moment.

    ReplyDelete